Toy Story 3 has received rave reviews across the board. Curious, a couple of us here at WonderHowTo went to see it last night. We found it to be decent. Not fabulous. The opening was exhilarating. Full of action and humor and a thoroughly dynamic use of 3D, but the rest of the movie didn't exude the same energy. The story was sweet and touching, and the characters were as lovable as ever. However, I was looking for a little more action.
Toy Story fan or not, I'd urge anybody to go see the film just for the innovative short shown before the feature, "Day & Night".
"Day & Night" is seminal. Simple yet original. Immensely charming and creative.
The figures are drawn in traditional 2D animation. Within the single-line framework of the characters lies a whole world of complex 3D scenes. The simplicity of the narrative structure is somewhat reminiscent of classic Looney Tunes, and the use of 3D is magical. Frankly, despite its simplicity, the use of 3D in this short wowed me more than Avatar.
The future is here, and Pixar, I'm ready for more.
Below: First, a behind-the-scenes "making of" interview with post director Teddy Newton and other Pixarians. Next, a 15 second clip from the short.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades